- Water is the most common substance found on Earth.
- The only water we will ever have is what we have now.
- In a 100-year cycle, water spends 98 years in the ocean, 2 months as ice, 2 weeks in lakes and rivers, and about 1 week in the atmosphere.
- Each day, the Sun evaporates 1,000,000,000,000 (a trillion) tons of water.
- Water is the only substance on Earth naturally found in the three forms: solid, liquid and gas.
- 80% of the Earth's surface is water. 97% of the Earth's water is in the oceans and seas.
- 66% of your body is water. Bones are 25% water. Human blood is 83% water.
- A person can survive more than 30 days without food, but less than a week without water.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- For every 2.31 feet that water is raised above the Earth's surface, it can create 1 pound per square inch of pressure.
- For every 2.31 feet you are submerged below the water's surface, there is 1 pound per square inch of pressure placed on your body.
- The first water pipes made in the U.S. were fire charred, bored-out logs.
- There are over 1 million miles of water pipelines and aqueducts in the U.S. and Canada, enough to circle the globe 40 times.
- There are over 59,000 community public water systems in the U.S.
- Community water systems process over 35 billion gallons of water daily.
- The average household uses 107,000 gallons of water per year.
- It takes 1,851 gallons of water to refine one barrel of crude oil.
- Over 42,000 gallons of water are needed to grow and prepare food for a typical Thanksgiving dinner for eight.
- A single birch tree will give off 70 gallons of water per day in evaporation.
- An acre of corn will give off 4,000 gallons of water per day in evaporation.